It’s estimated that 694 curable STDs are transmitted every minute around the world, yet the majority won’t get tested because they don’t want to talk about sex with their doctor.
A new report from the World Health Organization estimates that over 1 million sexually transmitted diseases are acquired every single day. That staggering number is only growing, as last year had the highest number of cumulative STDs ever recorded. This leap in cases is truly eye-opening.
What is causing STDs to soar? There are a number of theories ranging from the rise of dating apps to cuts in public health funding, but the biggest theory is ignorance. The majority of STDs go unreported. An estimated 51% of people don’t get tested because they don’t want to bring up sex or STDs in discussions with their healthcare provider.
Living in ignorance is no way to handle the potential of having an STD, and it’s also extremely dangerous to let diseases go untreated. Virtual healthcare is making it easier to test and treat STDs, giving you a way to get help without having to go into a doctor’s office.
Why it is Important to Get Tested
Because many STDs don’t show symptoms, it’s essential to get tested. Getting tested whenever you have a new sexual partner can help you catch STDs before they become serious. Only 12% of people who are at risk for an STD get tested. That’s a problem because STDs can have serious complications.
If you don’t get tested and don’t know that you have an STD, it can spread to other partners and impact their lives. Untreated STDs also have the potential to make you unable to have children. Even if you can have children, there’s a massive risk of passing it on and endangering their health early in their life.
Untreated STDs also endanger a pregnancy. It can cause complications during your term, put you at risk of miscarriage and stillbirth, as well as premature labor.
Neglecting to get tested for STDs also increases your vulnerability to HIV. Sores and ulcers make you more susceptible to the virus. The inflammatory response of your disease will flood your body with immune cells. Your immune system then becomes more vulnerable and less able to fight against HIV.
How Getting Tested At Home Works (It is so easy!)
LetsGetChecked makes it easy to test for STDs from your home. They are a leading company in the virtual healthcare space, and are empowering people like you to take control of their health. Where you may be uncomfortable discussing sex with your doctor, LetsGetChecked lets you test for STDs discreetly and privately in your home.
Here’s how they work:
- Tests are delivered in unmarked packaging so only you know what it is, which means no one else has to know you’re taking this test
- Super simple sample collection process ensures that you can effectively collect samples, which means you don’t have to visit a dreary lab
- Get results in 2-5 days, so you can get peace-of-mind more quickly which means you don’t have to spend any extra time worrying
- Easily view your results in a secure, online dashboard the second they are ready – no more waiting for a middleman to relay you your results
- Your results are physician-reviewed and you’ll have access to an online nurse to discuss results, which means you’ll understand exactly what the test found and what you need to do moving forward
- When appropriate, LetsGetChecked can even prescribe medication that you can pick up at your local pharmacy
Why we recommend LetsGetChecked:
- They cover more infections than the standard physician’s test, giving you more peace of mind if you test negative and saving you from any future lab visits for infections not covered by a standard test
- Simplifies the entire testing process by bundling together the lab and doctor’s visit. Not only does this save you time, but it ends up saving you money as well
- Their tests are CLIA-certified and FDA approved, which means they use the same labs as medical doctors, hospitals and government agencies
- They have an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 on over 2,600 reviews, which makes them the best reviewed home testing service on TrustPilot